Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Shower Nemesis


I know that my shower problems are but a minor hiccup in our new house adventure, but this week I swear the shower has done everything in it's power to frustrate me. 

Monday morning after we had moved, I turned on the shower and a tiny dribble came out of the shower head. Being the nerd that I am, I know that this house has high water pressure in the 80-90 psi range, so it was not a water pressure issue. Since I was headed to work, I decided not to deal with it until I got home, and went downstairs to take my shower.

That night I took down the shower head and sure enough, it was clogged. I ran to the store and picked out a shiny new environmentally conscious low-flow shower head. 

The next morning I am ready to take a nice shower with my new shower head. About two minutes after getting in...ya know...when my hair is super soapy....the water turns ice-cold. As soap is running into my eyes I turn the handle as far as it will go to HOT and wait....finally hot water....then 2 minutes later...cold water...and the cycle continues.

Since I knew that our tankless hot water heater was working just fine, I figured that it must have something to do with the new shower head. I did some googling and sure enough, my eco-friendly shower head was not going to work with the tankless hot water heater. Apparently they need a certain flow to trigger the unit to deliver hot water. 

Back to the store to find an not-so-eco-friendly head. So I figured - problem solved - time for a wonderful shower experience! I hop in, everything is going well....until about 3 minutes pass and the shower starts slowly filling with water. By the end of my shower I was standing in about 3" of dirty water - GROSS! 

As we speak I have a concoction of baking soda and vinegar hopefully working their magic on my drain...

Tomorrow morning will be the test...fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment