Sunday, July 7, 2013

Desk Chair Makeover

I love a craft project that transforms something you already have and costs less then $20. My mom and I purchased this chair around 15 years ago from a friend's garage sale and did the original makeover, but it has been well loved and was in need of a fresh coat of paint.
Desk Chair - BEFORE makeover
It is a really good think that I work next to Home Depot because I swear I forget something  and always end up there to pick up one last item. Originally I was not going to use primer, but after doing some Pinterest research, I opted to use it.

First I sanded the chair using my new orbital sander. Love love this tool - it is fast, easy to use, and collects the dust for easy clean-up. Then I used 200 grit sandpaper to smooth the surface, cleaned off the dust with a damp rag, and primed it. Rustoleum is my go-to spray paint, so that is what I used in satin grey for the primer and glossy blue for the finish. I held it about 10 inches from the chair and tried to apply thin coats. I let the primer dry for around 45 minutes and then applied 2 coats of my blue paint- waiting only a few minutes between coats. I would highly recommend rotating your piece throughout the painting process to ensure that you did not miss a spot. 
Orbital sander at the ready!
Sanded and Ready for Paint



My mom is the upholstery makeover queen, so she came over to help me with the seat cover. 



New craft room chair complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment